See sample pages from Garpur: My Iceland – ELI Teen Reader
Have you ever been to Iceland?
Hello! My name’s Garpur, and this is a story about me and my country, Iceland. I suppose you’ve heard something about Iceland, but there are still lots of things you can read about this island in these pages like the best places to visit, our wonderful landscape, and the animals you can find here. Do you know what we eat? … what school is like here? … what young guys like me do in their free time? Well, it’s all here in this book, as well as information about my family and friends and … best of all … about my favourite sport, handball. Hope you enjoy it!
Present simple and present continuous
Past simple and past continuous
Present perfect simple
Future with going to and will
Can, have to, need, must, would like
Common phrasal verbs
Passive forms – present and past simple
Comparative and superlative forms
In this Reader you will find:
Cultural boxes | Glossary of difficult words | audio recording of the story | Authentic photos | Comprehension and A2 Key style activities
|Number of Headwords|
|Number of Pages|
The Young ELI Readers/Real Lives series expands to include a collection of Children True Stories. It means that children from different and not so well known Countries tell ELI students about their daily life and Countries.
• 4 introductory pages of information and curiosities about the country the children are from, allow the young learners to get to know the main characteristics and interesting
aspects of the country.
• Stunning and authentic photos invite the reader into the children’s world, their family and their everyday life.
• an authentic story lets the reader become familiar with other cultures and different ways of living, while having fun.
• a cooperation between ELI and an NGO (non-governmental organization) for each Book: ELI donates parts of the proceeds for relevant development and aid projects
• final pages of activities, including tasks dealing with 21st Century Skills, help pupils to revise and analyse the story with a critical thinking approach, to compare cultures dealing with a great amount of information, to solve problems creatively while working in teams or small groups.
• a Multimedia files adds a digital dimension to reading in class, with an IWB, or at home on the PC. With the Multimedia files children follow fun animations of the story, listen to the recording with a ‘karaoke’ function, do engaging, interactive and autocorrecting exercises, and
Please note that the publisher (ELI) has labeled this title as Elementary (Stage 2). However, since it’s equivalent in level to other publishers’ Stage 3 titles (800 headwords), we have labeled it as Stage 3.